Heisenburg and Pauli

A forum designed mainly for high school physics students in New South Wales, Australia.
danny0808

Heisenburg and Pauli

Postby danny0808 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:44 pm

Hello just a couple question thanks for taking a look!

Im studying Heisburg and Pauli and there are a couple things im not 2 sure of.

1) What was Heisenburgs unified field theory?

2) What was Heisenburg's non-realtivistic form of quantum mechanics?

3) Regarding Pauli's proposal for the following quantum number:

Orbital magnetic quantum number described the orientation of the orbit with reference to the x, y, z axes in space. This can have values ranging from +1 to 0 to -1.

What does that exactly mean, I have no clue, please dumb down.

Just found the year 12 forum.

Thanks heaps, really appreciated!

joe

Postby joe » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:51 am

1) What was Heisenburgs unified field theory?

According to http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1932/heisenberg-bio.html,
Heisenberg sought at theory from which the properties of the various particles would appear without further assumptions. I don't know any more than this.

2) What was Heisenburg's non-realtivistic form of quantum mechanics?

One in which classical expressions for kinetic energy and momentum are used. To use the language of the Bohr-Sommerfeld model, the 'velocity' v of the electron in the ground state is alpha times c, where alpha is the fine structure constant, about 1/137. So, for hydrogen, relativistic effects are small. For high precision results with hydrogen, and for more highly charged nuclei, relativistic effects must be included.

3) Regarding Pauli's proposal for the following quantum number:

Orbital magnetic quantum number described the orientation of the orbit with reference to the x, y, z axes in space. This can have values ranging from +1 to 0 to -1.

What does that exactly mean, I have no clue, please dumb down

This requires diagrams. Try http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/quantum/hydcol.html

Best
Joe

Return to “High School Physics”