Force Vector Component?

A forum set up for physics questions from students in the courses PHYS1121, 1131, 1221 and 1331 at the University of New South Wales. It is intended for questions that cannot readily be answered in class,
either because they fall outside the main syllabus and therefore would be distraction (however interesting) or for other reasons.

Moderator: msmod

Boris Lagutin

Re: Force Vector Component?

Postby Boris Lagutin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:46 pm

Thank you very much, a.s.h!

What I have understood clearly now:

1) if we take a vector coming from the origin to any point on some plane we always get the same number on RHS (doesn't matter how many points on the plane we would take);

2) "d" (number on RHS in the plane equation) shows how far the plane may be from the origin if we consider a vector in 1 as a position vector of the point on the plane.

Are 1 and 2 correct? I hope yes :)
Boris Lagutin
student

a.s.h.

Postby a.s.h. » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:51 pm

Boris Lagutin wrote:Thank you very much, a.s.h!

What I have understood clearly now:

1) if we take a vector coming from the origin to any point on some plane we always get the same number on RHS (doesn't matter how many points on the plane we would take);

2) "d" (number on RHS in the plane equation) shows how far the plane may be from the origin if we consider a vector in 1 as a position vector of the point on the plane.

Are 1 and 2 correct? I hope yes :)

1) Correct

2) The value of d is a measure of how far the plane is from the origin (if d = 0, the plane passes through the origin, and if d ≠ 0, then the plane does not pass through the origin). However, in general, d is not equal to the distance D of the plane from the origin. I'll derive an expression for D in terms of d in the below posts.
Last edited by a.s.h. on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

a.s.h.

Postby a.s.h. » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:09 pm

For the plane in 3-space Π: ax + by + cz = d (Π is capital Greek letter Pi, commonly used to name a plane), let D be the distance of Π from the origin O (by this, we mean the shortest distance). A normal vector to Π is u = <a,b,c>. Hence a normal unit vector is û = u/|u| = (1/√(a² + b² + c²)) <a,b,c>. Note the line ℓ with direction û passing through the origin has parametric vector equation ℓ: x = λû, λ ∈ ℝ. The point P on Π closest to O is going to be the intersection of ℓ and Π, because the shortest distance of a point to a plane is the perpendicular distance. To find this intersection, we substitute x = λû into the plane equation, which is ux = d, and solve for λ, so we have:

u•(λû) = d

u•(λ(u/|u|)) = d

⇒ (λ/|u|)uu = d

(cont.)
Last edited by a.s.h. on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a.s.h.

Postby a.s.h. » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:16 pm

(cont.)

⇒ (λ/|u|) |u|² = d (using uu = |u|²)

⇒ λ|u| = d

⇒ λ = d/|u| (rearranging).

So for the point P on the plane closest to O, its position vector is λû, where λ = d/|u| (as we just found).

Hence the required distance D, which is just the length of OP, is

D = |OP|

= |λû|, where λ = d/|u|

= |λ|, since |λû| = |λ||û|=|λ|⋅1 = |λ|. (Note |λ| refers to the absolute value of λ, not a vector length, since λ is a scalar.)

= |d|/|u|, since λ = d/|u| (|d| refers to absolute value of d).

(cont.)
Last edited by a.s.h. on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

a.s.h.

Postby a.s.h. » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:16 pm

Now we have found how d affects the distance from the origin, as we have shown D = |d|/|u|. From this equation, we can see that for a fixed normal vector u, the distance of the plane to the origin is proportional to |d| (the sign of d tells us in which direction the plane is moved away from the origin). Also, D will be equal to |d| if and only if u is a unit normal (length 1).

Boris Lagutin

Postby Boris Lagutin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:30 pm

Thank you, a.s.h., so much! Your help is priceless. I couldn't grasp the vector and plane conception clearly because I didn't understand that we use position vectors and for all points on a plane "d" (if we insert point's coordinates in a plane equation) is the same (I got confused about vectors and plane equations). Now I can make a next step in multi-variable calculus. Truly I have already done :D

Have a nice day.
Boris Lagutin
student

Return to “Physics Questions”