Unit vector and direction cosines?

A forum set up for physics questions from students in the courses PHYS1121, 1131, 1221 and 1331 at the University of New South Wales. It is intended for questions that cannot readily be answered in class,
either because they fall outside the main syllabus and therefore would be distraction (however interesting) or for other reasons.

Moderator: msmod

Boris Lagutin

Unit vector and direction cosines?

Post by Boris Lagutin »

I understand that we find the direction cosines (see the drawing) by dividing the vector components (i, j and k) by the vector magnitude. Ok. I can understand cosine formed by the vector magnitude and k-axis but I don't understand cosine formed by i and j - components of the vector. If I understand right cos(alpha) is formed by i-component divided by the vector PROJECTION (not the vector magnitude) on the plane devoted by i-axis and j-axis, therefore cos(beta) is formed by j-component divided by the vector projection (not the vector magnitude). So why is the vector magnitude used to define cos(alpha) and cos(beta)?
Attachments
physics.PNG
physics.PNG (148.09 KiB) Viewed 6975 times
joe

Re: Unit vector and direction cosines?

Post by joe »

Gday Boris,

you have a diagram a bit like the one in
http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu. ... ors.htm#3d
You might want to consider the vector that I've called h – the projection onto the x,y plane.
Take the components here, and then consider the z components

Best
Joe
Boris Lagutin

Re: Unit vector and direction cosines?

Post by Boris Lagutin »

Thanks a lot, Joe.

My problem was that I didn't know that there is not only "scalar projection" but and "vector projection". They are different: "scalar projection" is just a number and "vector projection" is a vector.

Have a nice weekend :)