Welcome to the Music Science forum

A forum for the discussion of music science, primarily intended forthe students doing Music-Science or Music-Engineering programmes at UNSW, but also open for wider participation.

Moderator: msmod

joe

Welcome to the Music Science forum

Postby joe » Fri May 25, 2012 9:11 am

This forum is for discussion of music science. It was created chiefly for the use of students in Music Science or Music Engineering at UNSW. Use it for questions about the program, but it's main purpose is for discussions about music science itself. So, if you have questions you've always wanted to ask, perhaps this is the place.

Welcome to music science.
Joe

The Music Science research groups on campus can be found via
http://music.phys.unsw.edu.au/

panovayandarbi

Re: Welcome to the Music Science forum

Postby panovayandarbi » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:17 pm

Music is a mystery. It is unique to the human race: no other species produces elaborate sound for no particular reason. It has been, and remains, part of every known civilization on Earth. Lengths of bone fashioned into flutes were in use 40,000 years ago. And it engages people's attention more comprehensively than almost anything else: scans show that when people listen to music, virtually every area of their brain becomes more active. A single vibrating string can make a sound. But the many vibrating strings of instruments in an orchestra can make music.

joe

Re: Welcome to the Music Science forum

Postby joe » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:34 pm

"no other species produces elaborate sound for no particular reason"

- No particular reason? So I guess that you'd say that the very long and very elaborate songs of the humpback whale and the lyre bird are their way of saying 'I have a big brain and can construct and long and interesting songs, and a big voice to sing them which means I have the right genes and territory to make babies with you'.

And if you do, would you admit that some similar message might be hiding at various distances below the surface of much of human music?

Joe

Return to “Music Science”